Thursday, March 28, 2013

Fantasy Map -- Building a Story

I think I have the main mechanic figured out for my map; as I said last post, I'll be using books to change the "spells" that the player has access to at any given moment. At the moment, I'm thinking of having books being the main theme of the storyline as well, but I need to give it a bit more thought.

I plan to divide the books into three categories

Story

These books will be vital to the storyline... somehow...
At the moment, I'm thinking of having old books that have to be translated to display part of the story. I intend to retain the magic/medieval theme, but with an emphasis on books and a library of lost spells. (I'll continue to work on it...)

Sorcery

These books will be used to enchant weaponry, items, and other equipment, but not by using levels. I intend to use villager trading (does changing the lore/name of an item influence if it will trade or not?) to create items with enchants similar to what Anistuffs suggested in his blogpost a while back. I'd likely use the "enchanting" as a way for the player to get better weaponry, armor, and consumables.

Spells

Using the Bottle o' Enchanting as a "wand" of sorts, and by switching spells using a similar mechanic as I described in the last post, this will allow the player to alter his abilities to match the environment, or to influence the environment to match his abilities.
  • Environment (These are similar to the "Teleport" ideas from a few posts back)
    • "Flood Room" - Floods the room.
    • "Shatter World" - Turn one large floating island into many.
    • "Mirror" - Swaps the X and Z Coordinates (Left becomes Right and vis-versa).
    • "Temporal Shift" - Move forwards or backwards in time.
    • "Shift Gravity" - Up is now down.
    • ...
  • Ability (Potion effects, but without the potions)
    • "Mind Trick" - This video.
    • "Power Bounce" - A very brief, but more powerful jump.
    • "Gill (?)" - Allows player to breath underwater. (might be better as an enchanted consumable)
    • "Focused Search" - Night vision, show points of interest, but reduce strength.
    • ...
Leave me some feedback, and hopefully I'll have the first few areas figured out sooner rather than later.

2 comments:

  1. Oh this is gonna be an epic map for sure :D

    Re: Story, the translation idea is brilliant. The way I can see it working is getting to a librarian NPC & having the book translated for a price. However, I don't know if different books work in a trade. I think all written books are considered the same item in a trade. I want to be wrong but I'm not sure :/

    You can also use a hopper trick to place the book in a translation machine, activate it & replace it with a translated book.

    Re: Enchanting, Don't use the term for this. It's confusing to players. I'd suggest a name like Sorcery or maybe a word for magic from other languages.

    Re: Spells.
    I've been thinking about Temporal puzzles for a while now, but sadly, my brain is wired for solving puzzles, not making them. If you need any ideas or anything, feel free to ask (This is possibly the closest I'll get to help make a map :)

    Re: Environment, I like the ideas. Reminds me of Quantum Conundrum. I cannot believe I forgot about that game while playing Dimension jumper.

    Re: Ability. WOAH! That Mind Trick is FREAKING AWESOME :D
    The other ability ideas are quite nice & will be an excellent effect if pulled off right.

    I know I usually choose not to test a map because I want to LP it blind but for this one, if you need a tester, I'm right here :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RE: Story; Yeah, written books are the same item, but I was thinking about normal books with lore... I'll have to test that theory out when I can.
      RE: Enchanting; Swapped it to "Sorcery", it matches the alliteration of the other main points and it's a better match.
      RE: Spells; I'll continue to try to think of other concepts for these, and I'm open to ideas.
      RE: Environment; Quantum Conundrum does have environment-altering puzzles, I hadn't thought of that!
      RE: Ability; Another of his videos, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHFRMxpXA8s, was one of the inspirations for the last post; I'll add that in...
      RE: Testing; I'll be sure to keep that in mind! (This thing will need plenty of testing... hopefully I catch most of the bugs before I ask for testers though.)

      Delete